Pages

Sunday 10 January 2016

Goodbye 2015

10 days into 2016 and I finally get around to writing my first post of the year.

Yesterday was the fourth anniversary of my going full time properly and returning to work as me, tomorrow it will be eight months since I stepped onto the train that would take me from home to Brighton and Tuesday will mark eight months since I corrected the physical defects that nature gave me.

2015 was a better year than 2014, but even so it was a mixed one.

I completed my latest marathon and actually managed to run all the way (apart from a tiny, tiny amount where I walked while I was taking on fluid at the drinks station). Having been on hormones for three years, and not having completed a marathon for even longer than that, I was pleased to just miss out on beating my personal best for the distance.

May, finally saw the culmination of a long journey with my GRS, and the beginning of a new one as I move on with my life and put behind me the need to have surgery to correct my genitals. The summer was an interesting one dealing with some of the problems that arose following the surgery. As much as it was a relief to have the surgery over with it was tinged with some sadness because Mum never got to see me reach that point and I never got to tell her what it felt like.

The rest of the year revolved around Rhys' surgeries to remove tumours from his stomach and head. For those that love what technology allows us to do this is what the surgeons used when planning out the operation to remove the brain tumour. A 3D printed skulll based on scans that had been taken of Rhys.

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull
In October and November I got to perform as part of the Burleskin troupe at Trixie Whipp's Halloween show in Puriton, Somerset and at a birthday party in Yeovil. My burlesque went from strength to strength in 2015 with not only those two performance opportunities but also beginning work on a new Christmas routine, one which I plan to have at a performance standard by next December, and also a new Doctor Who themed routine which is in the very early stages of development.

2016 is looking like it will be a good year. More performing in burlesque shows and finally getting back into racing with my local half marathon entered as well as sprint and middle distance triathlons and a weekend of races based on Ironman distance swimming, cycling and running.

I've been a bit under the weather so far which has had an effect on my training but I'm slowly getting over that so will hopefully be throwing myself back into training this week.

And finally, this week saw my son reach the jolly old age of 18 and being able to legally buy alcohol in pub, restauran, club or shop. Not that he would have tried to buy it illegally. We went out to celebrate his birthday and gave him the chance to buy his first alcoholic drinks. It was a complete failure as we must have gone to the only place that was out of anything that my wife will drink. Typical. I'm sure he'll eventually manage to buy some though.

Here's to 2016. Wishing everyone a wonderful and safe time.

No comments:

Post a Comment